"WE HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A SOLUTION TO REACH THIS POPULATION FOR OVER TEN YEARS. THIS IS THE SOLUTION WE HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR."
YEMI OSINBAJO - VICE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA
By working with telecoms, we can distribute our curriculum and use their airtime. This decreases our operation costs. In addition, we purchase airtime at a discount, allowing us to pay our Home Educators 40% more in airtime then we would if we were to pay them in cash.
We require our parents to subscribe to our telecom partners to receive our curriculum. This increases the market share of our partners. By using the infrastructure and airtime (phone mins & text) of our telecom partners; we deliver our education program, collect payment from our parents and pay our home educators, all via mobile phones.
To ensure quality and compliance, we do pre/post assessments, and daily quizzes, with the help of our partner Save The Children.
Where we do it
The lack of quality early childhood education is more precedented in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) than anywhere else in the world!
More children under the age of 6 live there compared to rest of the world.
Within SSA, we started in Nigeria because it is the world’s largest mobile phone market, home of the 4th fastest growing population and has 5.5 children per mother; making it one of the locations with the greatest need for early childhood education.
HOW WE CREATE VALUE
- Parents: are incentivized through the airtime (minutes and texts) reward to their mobile phones, the education for their child, and the emotional bond/relationship built with their child.
- Children: are incentivized through fun & play-based activities, the bond built with parent, and through free promo items (school bags, pencil cases, toys, raincoats, mathematics sets, and more).
- Home Educators: a monthly salary, prestige of working with a USA company, the social impact they are having educating children, recognition within community.
- Telecoms: increased market share, decreased churn rate, & corporate social responsibility.
- Governments: increased economic development, job creation, influence the GDP by 77%. and social benefit to population being served
- Tembo: revenue generated, sustainability of business, long term impact
- Community: commumity cohesion, decreased birth rates, job opportunities, potentially decreasing incarceration/crime rates